Thursday, December 17, 2009

Week 5 Reflections

In this technology leadership course, my expectations were to learn new technology innovations linked to student learning, technology standards application in schools and how I could incorporate technology applications as a campus leader. I learned Texas has the Long-Range Plan for Technology (LRP) in place and it has been in existence since 2006. The LRP has four key areas: teaching and learning; educator preparation and development; leadership, administration and instructional support; and infrastructure for technology. The STaR Chart is an instrument used to know the technology acquisition in application in regards to fulfilling the LRP mission in the four areas to prepare learners for the 21st century. As a technology campus facilitator, my role will be to lead technology integration in the campus among educators and help them acquire their citizenship in digital technology; which would enable technology in students’ school life to link to student progress.

The outcomes that I have achieved in this course in fulfilling my knowledge in the technology leadership area can be easily applied to my position. My role in the campus as an Instructional Coordinator yields the advantage to provide professional development to teachers. One of my many duties includes meeting with professional learning comities weekly to discuss student progress. My position will allow me to open the doors to pave my way through to begin successful technology integration. I am very satisfied in the learning that I have gained in this course because I know that this knowledge can be applied in my future leadership role in administration as well.

As I look back and reflect about the preexisting knowledge that I had about technology and comparing that to the knowledge that I have gained, I can genuinely say that I understand and see the big picture in regards to the technology vision that the state of Texas has in place. I understand the urgency in reaching the vision. In developing the organizational chart from the state to the school level, I understand the key role that each level or person has to perform to meet the vision. As a campus leader, the realization of this is very eye-opening. I feel that I fulfilled my thirst in knowledge in regards to the Technology Application Standards, the LRP vision, data sources, the STaR chart, leadership for learning, cyberspace safety policies and administration preparedness in technology.

Not only did I learn the theory in technology, but the course hands-on projects that required putting the theory into practicality. In turn it opened the windows for learning to a greater extent. I also believe that the time that we were allotted at the start of the course to fulfill the first two assignments was very helpful because it allowed me to grasp the information, process it, and then apply it to the project.

As I began to progress with learning the course content, I discovered that there were missing gaps in my knowledge in regards to technology that I had not realized that I had until recently. The Technology Inventory was a great survey that allowed me to see the areas that I had to concentrate on learning. I also learned that my skills are those of a digital native. As the revolving door in technology keeps opening and emerging, we as educators must keep up with the new skills. I plan to keep my knowledge up-to-date and to facilitate this learning to others on my campus. I have always felt that adults that are digital immigrants need to stop using the excuse that they did not grow up with technology, therefore; they cannot use technology. I believe that anyone can learn, but there must be an open mind to learning. My moral obligation as a future leader to facilitate technology learning is greater.

The educational blogs and blogging for the 21st century learner is a tool for collaboration that allows teachers, parents, and students to interact in learning as they collaborate online. The blog revolution is rapidly increasing by the second, so we must begin to meet the new learning demands of technology online interaction. The greatest advantages about creating a blog are that it can be done at anytime on the internet and that it is free and accessible to all. Blogging can lead the 21st century learner in reaching higher knowledge acquisition from educators instantly, course content and without having to leave the comforts of the home to learn.

My concerns for blogs and blogging in education are that most educators are foreign to this concept and unless more of us facilitate this tool for learning, it will take time to evolve. The security aspect still seems to be one of the most concerns that bloggers have and that is why they are receptive to engage in blogging. We must continue to push blogging and educate our teachers in the advantages of using this tool.

Blogging is a great way to constantly communicate to all stakeholders, as long as they have the blog address. Blogging can delivery the message that you need to convey instantly. It can also be a way to provide support and communication about resources that one would want them to readily access. By using blogs in schools as a communication tool, educators can develop a reflective and interactive practice with the new generation of learners. Blogging is here and we must take advantage of it today because there is no time to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment